Sunday, November 4, 2007

B-17 Model 'Chowhound' by Marshall Dullum

B-17 model builder and B-29 radioman extraordinaire Marshall Dullum poses with his crew in the photo above, taken during Marshall's service in the Korean War. Marshall is in the bottom row, second from left. Marshall built the B-17 model featured in this post, which he gave to me today.

Marshall's B-17G model of 'Chowhound', with US dollar bill for size comparison.

I visited my Idaho Falls friend Marshall Dullum this afternoon to wish him Happy Birthday and deliver his present (a book about the B-29 units in Korea during the Korean War), and he had an amazing surprise for me---a huge B-17G model that he built many years ago. I was overwhelmed at his generosity. It's a beauty, as you can see from the pictures. This is no small-kit model, but a huge tribute to the B-17. Marshall did a wonderful job of painting all the interiors and exteriors---even the Norden bombsight is in there in regulation black. Wow!

This particular B-17, #42-31367 flew out of Bassingourn, England assigned to the 322nd Squadron of the 91st Bomb Group. The Walt Disney character "Pluto" was painting on her nose. Chow Hound flew over 30 missions, but luck ran out for her second crew on August 8th, 1944 when she was shot down--4 of her crew were killed.

The model is so realistic you can look into the Plexiglass windows and see the Norden bombsight and the pilot's seats. When Marshall moved from California, some of the pieces were broken. He painstakingly found matching parts and fixed this model.

Marshall was a B-29 radioman in Korea, and is the only local friend I know who shares my passion for WWII aircraft. I met Marshall when I did an article about him for a local magazine's July 4 issue. We've been friends ever since.



Enjoy the photos of this model!

5 comments:

John Collins said...

I have direct experience with the chowhoud.
My uncle, Richard was the waistgunner when it went down in France on Aug 8th, 1944.
I have access to the plane and there is an amazing story behind it.
I'd be happy to share it with you. You can call me at 440-725-5295.

John Collins

Josie said...

Was searching for a model of my grandpa's plane and ran across your blog here. My grandfather Jerald Newquist was the first pilot of the Chowhound. He and his crew finished their tour with no casualties. The second crew of the Chowhound were shot down over France. My grandfather flew for United Airlines until his passing early in 1977.

Josie Shields Reynaud
Granddaughter of Jerald "nukey" Newquist

Josie said...

TuWas searching for a model of my grandpa's plane and ran across your blog here. My grandfather Jerald Newquist was the first pilot of the Chowhound. He and his crew finished their tour with no casualties. The second crew of the Chowhound were shot down over France. My grandfather flew for United Airlines until his passing early in 1977.

Josie Shields Reynaud
Granddaughter of Jerald "nukey" Newquist

Unknown said...

This is the plane that crashed next to my granma's when she was a child.
They won't be forgotten.

Unknown said...

This is the plane that crashed beside my granma's in 1944. She was 8 and has not forgotten.
Thanks to them for the sacrifice they did for us. They wont be forgotten.