Monday, July 28, 2008

A Visit to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Dr. King's Masoleum rests on a small island in a reflecting pool reminiscent of the one where he gave his famous 'I Have a Dream' speech in Washington, D.C. In 2006, after her death, wife Coretta Scott King's remains were added to the masoleum. MLK and Coretta Scott King tombs in reflecting pool.

I returned from Georgia a few days ago after visiting my good friend Leonard and interviewing him for the upcoming 95th unit history. On the return trip, I took a puddle-jumper jet from Columbus, GA, over by the Alabama border, to Atlanta. Possibly due to the high price of gas, it seems like the airlines are running above capacity on most flights this month, and I voluntarily let myself get bumped off of two flights in exchange for future travel miles on Delta. After my second 'bump', the airline put me up for the night at the Holiday Inn North and I found a train that ran directly into downtown Atlanta for only four bucks round-trip. After dropping my small carry-on bag in the motel room, I went back to the airport and took this train into Atlanta to Five Corners, right downtown. From there, it was a one-mile, hot and humid walk to the famed Auburn Street Martin Luther King Historical District. After learning about Dr. King most of my life, it was awe-inspiring to see his birth home, his crypt (Coretta Scott King was buried right next to him in 2006), and several museums. I also visited the Ebenezer Baptist Church, where it all began. Enjoy the pictures, even though they are not on the Air Corps theme. They tie in because of the 60th Anniversary this week of President Truman's integration of the Air Force.


All photos taken by me during my afternoon in Atlanta.

Dr. King lived here in a multi-generational household for 12 years. He was born in this home on Auburn, which belonged to his grandfather. It is now a museum and has been restored to its original form and furnishing. It's surrounded by private homes and if you weren't looking for it, you probably wouldn't even know it was a historical house. The original, iconic sign of the Ebenezer Baptist Church. MLK's grandfather, father and MLK all preached here.
Dr. King's preaching robes, in the MLK museum.Dr. King's suits and ties, worn during his Civil Rights activities in the fifties and sixties.
Dr. King's travel alarm clock, and the key to his motel room at the Lorraine Motel the day he was tragically gunned down in Memphis, April 4, 1968.
MLK Rose Garden. In the distance, you can see the gravesite of MLK and Coretta Scott King across the street.
A Song by Dion follows. It sums up some of the sadness of the Sixties.
Has anybody here seen my old friend Abraham?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.
You know, I just looked around and he's gone.
Anybody here seen my old friend John?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.
I just looked around and he's gone.
Anybody here seen my old friend Martin?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.
I just looked 'round and he's gone.
Didn't you love the things that they stood for?
Didn't they try to find some good for you and me?
And we'll be free Some day soon,
and it's a-gonna be one day
...Anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
I thought I saw him walk up over the hill,
With Abraham, Martin and John.
--Dion. Abraham, Martin and John, 1968, written by Richard Holler
Listen to the song, with graphics, here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZL81tPHp82g&feature=related

The Ebenezer Baptist Church. MLK's father and grandfather preached here, and so did Martin. Auburn Street, looking towards downtown Atlanta.
Eternal flame.




Ghandi, whose own civil rights struggles and use of civil disobedience were inspirational to MLK.

The new Ebenezer Baptist Church is directly across the street.

And finally, after enjoying Atlanta that afternoon and evening, I flew out first class the next morning. Sometimes, one can turn lemons into lemonade.
Downtown Atlanta, GA.

1 comment:

jams o donnell said...

Thanks for sharing. Those are places I am going to have to visit some time.